Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Can we change our Destiny?

Many have wondered over the age old question: Can we change our destiny, or are we confined to a pre-destined future. Even the question itself arouses feelings of trepidation in some. For many, it can be very difficult to accept that they are not in complete control of their future. While others want very much to believe that they must have a greater purpose in life that will inevitably be fulfilled. Still others may believe in a somehow weighted combination of the two ideologies – perhaps I have a destiny, but I am not bound to it; I can change it if I try hard enough.

One of the great Rabbi's during the last century was Rabbi Naphtali Berlin. He authored a number of very important books on Jewish law: “The Netziv”, “Mashiv Hadavar”, and “Shoel Hadavar”. In one of the introductions he shares the following story:

“When I was a young child, I wasn't successful at my studies. My parents and teachers tried relentlessly to motivate me to work harder, but to no avail. Then one evening, after my bed time, I came out of my room and unintentionally ease dropped on my parents conversation. As I listened, I realized that they were discussing taking me out of school and apprenticing me to a tailor. I was so shaken up by what I heard that I ran to my parents and promised to try harder if they would give me just one more chance. 

I often think back to that night and contemplate what would have happened if I didn’t hear my parents that night. I most likely would have become a tailor. Not to say that being a tailor would have been such a bad life. I'm sure I would have been a good, G-d fearing Jew, saying Psalms while I waited for customers to arrive. I would have prayed with a minyan, and contributed to charity. Then, at the end of my life, I would have come to the heavenly court, and they would have asked, "where are all your books?"
“What books?"
"The books you were supposed to write!"
Rabbi Berlin continued, “I came this close to missing it! How ashamed would I have been if I hadn't lived up to my potential!?!

I believe in destiny. I also believe that it takes a lot of hard work, dedication and prayers to merit fulfilling our destiny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear shortly, after it has been approved by our moderator.
Thank you!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home